Nothing is as comforting in the cool winter months as a steaming bowl of soup filled with your favorite veggies. This garlicky burst of cauliflower is no exception. The delectable texture and smooth flavor combine to make the perfect dish, and a little sharp cheddar cheese on top rounds it out with a full satisfying flavor.
Note: This recipe is designated “ME” for Mindful Eating and is generally lower in fat and calories than some of the other recipes on this site. You can search for other mindful recipes in the navigation bar above under Food Love, Recipes and Mindful Eating.
Yield: About 10 Cups or 5 Servings
2 Heads Cauliflower, de-stemmed and chopped into medium pieces
1 Shallot, chopped
7 Cloves Garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp Butter, cut into pieces
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
32 oz Vegetable (or Chicken) Broth
2 Tbsp Tarragon (or White Wine) Vinegar
1 Tbsp Dried Tarragon
1/2 Tbsp Dried Basil
1/4 Cup Half & Half
1 Cup Nonfat Milk
Freshly Ground Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Chives, for garnish
Parmesan Cheeses, shredded for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large roasting pan combine Cauliflower, Shallot, Garlic, Butter, Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper. Cook in preheated oven for about 35 minutes until Cauliflower is cooked through and lightly browned on florets.
2. Remove Cauliflower from oven and dump into a large soup pan on the stove, ensuring you scrape all the crusty brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add Broth, Vinegar, Tarragon and Basil. Stir over medium high heat and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up pieces of cauliflower with a wooden spoon. Add Salt and Pepper to taste throughout cooking.
3. Remove from heat and puree cauliflower mixture with an immersion blender (you can also use a hand mixer or food processor if necessary). Mix to your desired consistency and texture, I like mine a little lumpy with large pieces of cauliflower.
4. Place pan with cauliflower mixture back on low heat. Add Half & Half and Milk. Stir occasionally and add Salt and Pepper to taste. Depending on the salt content of your broth you may need more or less salt. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes to heat all ingredients and bring them together.
5. Serve hot with a garnish of Chives and Parmesan Cheese. This soup easily freezes for storage and later use. Enjoy!